Just had to revisit this trailer for work and I’d like to say something:
This is legit the most infuriating frame in any trailer released in the last 12 months (and I watched trailers for both Jack & Jill and Chipwrecked).
Let’s put aside the fact that the sole female member of The Avengers for 2012 is Black Widow and not, say, Wasp or Scarlet Witch or someone with a bit more pizazz: hey, Joss Whedon, why you gotta play us like this? So every other Avenger gets to smash shit and be badass and Natasha just has to sit amongst some explodey traffic like a Maybelline commercial?
That, and the same old “Drop down onto one knee and flip your hair back like a Timotei moment” move that every. single. fucking. other. female. action. hero does in every single movie of the last five years? That’s it? That’s all she gets?
Come on, Joss, you’re better than that. She’s better than that.
What happened to your “strong female character” manifesto? :(
- He didn’t get to pick the new Avengers, just make the movie with the ones they wanted to include, I think.
- I’m not sure he has that much to do with the marketing team. Marvel is fairly domineering.
- That hair-flip thing is carryover from Iron Man 2, the first place we saw her, where THAT director decided to have her do it.
- It looks like she has a detonator and is causing the explosion, which means she’s just doing the action-movie don’t-look-at-explosion thing.
- We also get to see her beat someone up in the trailer.
Give Joss a chance. She will be totally amazingly awesome in the movie, just you wait.